Saturday, February 24, 2007

Why Not Art?

“We make money not art” is the sarcastic title to a blog written primarily by Regime Debatty, a European involved with art. At first glance, this title made me think that this blog was focused on business or some other field that deals with money. My second glance disproved my first assumption and gave me a new impression. The writer, Regime, must have a sense of humor to have named the title what she did, and she must really love art. But looking at her profile from the About Us tab, I saw that a couple others contribute to the blog of articles and interactive links.

In some of the blogs, which occasionally seem more like article to me, I have noticed the subject matter is not based on a person’s day or even random topics put in here or there. The
focal point is artwork of all kinds, like paintings, pictures, and sculptures. But the artwork also extends to other genres and medium. The blog titled “Interview with Angelo Vermeulen” is an interview, obviously, with a video game designer. It focuses on the artistic point of view for how rooms and towns should be viewed, where to work in the 3D aspects, etc… Other entries consist of one or two pictures, usually very unusual and eye-catching, and a caption. An interesting one is of two models wearing strange, furry animal masks in “Next winter you won’t see me without.”

All these artistic blogs can be accessed or found in the hot pink search bar containing the site’s title. Like our blogs, this one exhibits a two column format with the entries on the left side and links in addition to various other items on the right side. The entries contain a vast amount of pictures, with would be characteristic of an artsy blog, and many internal links to relating information and sites. The tabs at the beginning have the typical date and author, but it also has a button for the category that the entry would be classified as. Also, the blog uses a light, textured background with dark colored text for good readability.

The right side contains a conglomerate of items. A link is connected to the profile instead of having a picture up front. An add for new sponsors and add by Google hanging along the right side. Other small, mini sections include “Latest Interviews”, “Coverage”, “From the Cellar” (old blogs), and other random links that don’t have a title. Finally, the “Categories” section consists of all the different subjects that the blogs fit into.

My blog is quite different in many aspects. Besides pictures in the entries, a centered blog and profile section, nothing else is there. But I think that a plain, clean-cut look is refreshing since we are bombarded with all types of advertisements daily. The entries are what people want to see, at least for my blog, and that’s what they get, nothing extra. However, a few additions could be made. Links to the top would be useful as well as a Share button. I think the only other thing I would add are some links to sites that I like and want others to enjoy as well.

2 comments:

nathanbos said...

I thought the webpage was set up very nicely as well. It was easy to see where the posts were and easy to read. Without bright advertisements jumping out all over the place the focal point is very clearly the writing. The title of the page caught me off guard as well. I’m still not really too sure about what it is supposed to mean, but I’m pretty sure it’s some kind of joke. I didn’t really like how the page kept going, though. I think they should try to break up the posts a little bit more. I had to scroll down for quite some time before I got to the bottom of the page.

Issah Mohammed said...

This is a very detailed blog that presents a wide array of interests for the audience to enjoy and that I think is a key component of a blog if we want our blogs to be attractive.

The use of image is definetely a plus as it portrays the right picture for the reader.It also helps the blogger to present his argument in a more concise sense and direct sense.

Trascending a single garnre could not be more appropriate than on this webpage. I think the interview with the video game designer was interesting to add on a blog. I would not mind adding such a feature on my own blog.