Saturday, April 14, 2007

An Ancient yet Current Worldview


Romans 5:2b-4 : Rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

I don't think anyone is actually happy about crises or bad things that happen in their life. I know I'm not. But what I've had a lot of people say is that if those bad things had never happened to them, they would never have experienced the good things that have happened. The trials we face make us into better people and more complex people. What could be the worst thing at a point in your life could end up changing your life in a positive way. In my short 18 years, God has blessed me so much with my family and living in this country, but I know the really hard times are still to come. When I don't think I can handle a decision or crisis, I know he will be there to guide me through. Jesus said in Matthew 11:28,"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest"(NIV). So many people wonder why bad things happen to good people, but I believe that humans are fallen and sinful first of all. Second, for those trusting in Jesus Christ alone for salvation, God wishes to make them stronger and grow closer to him, like the Romans verse I started with. If you're still reading, thank you, and I just want to say that my faith is not blind, but based on the Bible, the historically accurate and inspired Word of God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked this post of yours. I completely agree with everything you are saying. Suffering does create perseverence and bad things do make us stronger. I believe that through God I will be able to make the bad times in my life good. Through faith I will be better able to handle the difficulties that life throws.

Molly Bloom said...

I have no faith and nor do I believe in God. I feel like thanking God for the good things in your life takes credit away from what you've accomplished. I'm sure you've worked very hard to keep the relationships in your family healthy. In my opinion, that is a result of your work, not an outside source. And what about living in America? I am not asking this question to challenge your beliefs, but why would God bless some and not others?

Issah Mohammed said...

This is a wonderful post because it touches on something many of us fail to see in our daily lives.

To live life successfully to the fullest there are certain characteristics we must possess. One of them is perseverance which usually comes with fortitude and patience. I could not agree more that we need the guidance of God to overcome the obtacles that come our way. That is infact this is what God is there for, for both those who have faith in him and those who do not.