Sunday, April 1, 2007

Triple Step


The first thing to notice about the picture is that it's a black and white photograph. The people in the picture are probably real. Having black and white takes away the busyness of color and makes you focus on what's happening in the picture and other aspects of the picture. The light plays a very important part in this picture. It highlights or focuses on the man in the picture and moves the woman to an after thought even though she is a larger part of the picture. The light also reveals the movement going on. The black couple is dancing, not posing. It's a live action photo that captures the moment. It's interesting where the photo was taken. the view of the photo is angled upward so a lot of the ceiling is captured where the light beams out in almost a circle. And the woman is a large part of the right side, but the focus is on the man which takes up a smaller portion of the left side of the photo. The man also seems to be doing more the dancing than the woman in this particular shot. And it may be important to notice it's a black couple. By all this, the photographer is probably trying to show how fun dancing is , as the man's face looks really happy. He doesn't look like he's doing anything complicated and the blurry shot makes his moves look easier. Just the act of dancing could make you happy, particularly for black people and those who aren't professionals.

4 comments:

nathanbos said...

Well written, but I had a question. Is that photo the same one you’re describing, because I didn’t really see the same things you were describing? Other than that the observations are very good. The way the lighting effects focus your attention on one particular area, even though it might not be the biggest part of the photo, is a nice technique. I didn’t think the link was too relevant, maybe add a link to the photographer.

Liz Benton said...

The post was a bit confusing, it threw me off for a moment because I was not sure whether or not that was the photo you were describing or if it was just there it illustrate a different type of black and white photography, other than your original selection. I liked the photograph that you chose to write about and I think that you picked up on all of the important elements of it and did a good job interpreting the artist’s vision for it.

Jiarui Xie said...

The image you choose is kind of the same like mine did in my posting. They are similar in color and tone. They are both black and white makes the pictures more mystical. I like this kind of picture you choose to describe. But I have a question that you depicted the couple were dancing, I did not notice where it is. Maybe it is too small I can not figure out what were you talking about.
In spite of this, you truly did a good job in interpreting the picture. Some aspects I do not even think about it.

Aaron Deng said...

Hi. This is Aaron. First I want to say good job!!! You had very detail and clear description. But as the Nathan say:" I do not think this photo the same to your description." I just have a little bit confusing. I think you need to get a little bit change. And I think you did not really follow the teacher's statement. I mean you did not have to, but I think it will be the best way. Any way, well written and it is a very sex picture. Good luck!!!